Tuesday 2 October 2012

Study Technique

Just in case: feel free to point out any typos you find anywhere on this blog and defame me all over the internet for it, I deserve that. 
If in doubt, refer back to this post, where I explicitly allow you to. Not that I make a lot of typos. I never make typos. Ever.
No, seriously, I'm human, errors happen sometimes. Very unprofessional though, so slap me over the head if you find one.

I'm currently working on getting the first batch of actual notes uploaded. The semester has just started, and I'm doing all my introductory reading and manual note taking, which I'll then type up and post online. As this is the first time I've done this, I'm just finding my footing, and hopefully there won't be a too long week-for- week delay. Ideally, notes would be up the week I do them at uni, but I'm not sure how realistic that is in practice.
It seems more likely that they'd be up the following week, since I obviously have to read, write and organise them into a shareable format.

In the meantime, I thought I'd share some study techniques I've been using over the years. A lot of people will be familiar with these, or use other methods, but this is what I've been doing. I'd love to hear how other people study as well, it's very interesting.



Location

As a student, I only have my room, not a huge flat or house with a living room or study, so if I decide to study at home, I'll spend all day in my one room, holed up, slightly creepy, poring over ridiculously heavy books.
Needless to say, I'm not a fan. I do study at home a lot, especially in the evenings, or when the weather is terrible and I just can't be bothered to go out- but I try not to. There's a train of thought that your bedroom has to be associated with rest, relaxation and comfort so you sleep well and get the rest you need to function. Similarly, if you try to work in the same environment you sleep in, you won't be as productive, become less attentive and more sleepy. I don't know about other people, but this is definitely true for me- ever try to study in bed? It's not as great as it looks.
If I do have to study at home, I try to force myself to sit at my desk and turn my back on the bed. And this is very uncomfortable. If you have space and can afford it, invest in a nice office chair- your back will thank you.

I often frequent Starbucks throughout the semester. Granted, their coffee isn't the best and it's mind-numbingly overpriced, but it provides an atmosphere I like to study in. Law books have a strange tendency to put you to sleep (it's those walls of text, often oddly written), so the muted buzzing of a good coffee shop helps.
My local Starbucks is always full of studious types, so if the library is a bit too quiet for you, and you haven't yet, give it a try. It doesn't have to be Starbucks, any urban coffee place will do. Just beware of the hipster types that were there before it became cool. Kidding.
Some stores are open until midnight, which is a good bit longer than my uni's library, so it's also good for studying after you've already studied. No, seriously.
Do beware of coffee with a lot of syrup though. It will give you a temporary high and within the next hour you'll be tired and want to go home. Ask for half syrup. Or none.

Then there is the library, of course. Good old library. Quiet, choice of books, many other studious souls. A cafe, if you're not really unlucky.
How much you like studying in the library really depends a bit on taste and attitude. I personally don't like modern libraries, I prefer old, Hogwarts style ones with tons of ancient books and dark wood. Especially in the everlasting UK winter.
Modern libraries will keep you awake better with their fluorescent lights.
My uni has a silly library that closes at 21.00, so it's not the place for late night studying. Luckily we can go to another uni's library which kicks us out at midnight. Still.

Other places include parks, which I love but are only dry and warm during summer here, when I don't study. Student union cafes are also good, as they are relatively quiet and cheap- good alternative to regular coffee shops.

Note taking

I have class notes, case notes, textbook notes, journal notes. Each done separately, although I try to combine class and textbook notes at the first sitting, to make it easier. I then combine them into one huge pile of revision notes that threaten to take out trees for good.
I use a notepad and a ring binder to achieve coherency. Using notebooks doesn't work for me, as I need to add pages and notes all the time, and I can't write everything chronologically as I compile them.
The only way I could use a notebook is if I copied everything I already compiled into a clean notebook. And I just don't have that kind of time.
But typing your notes out on the computer after has the advantage that you can print it later, and carry around less stuff during revision.
I use loads of different colours. This helps me, because it draws my eye to the pages and keeps me engaged more than plain notes. I don't know, I am a visual creature, and if you're human, chances are so are you.

Memory Aids

I like to write important cases and citations in large print on A4 paper and stick them to the wall. That way you have to look at them in random situations (such as watching TV), and this will help memorise them. You can also use post-its. I also use colours to highlight these sheets, to make it more appealing to the eye- so it gets drawn to it and reads what's on it.
You will run out of wall space though. And your room will look strange. Try to make them as you go along, but maybe only actually put them up as you get closer to exams.

Flashcards

A pain to make by hand, there are apps for phones and tablets that allow you to create digital versions. These are still a pain in the behind to make. Luckily, similar to cheat sheets, making them will help you memorise. If you don't have the time, there are various versions available from book publishers or other students online.
It's up to you if you want to trust someone else's flashcards though.
I might end up putting my version online later during the year.

Cheat Sheets

Age old trick: write a cheat sheet, small print, very concise. Don't use it though. Writing something into such a small space requires you to engage with the material and helps the memory. Works better with sciences to be honest, the sheer volume of law material makes it hard to use this, but it still works. Works best for core information, so is good for memorising case names and linking them to the relevant facts (ever remember a case name but not what it's about or vice versa? Fail).


I take regular breaks, every half and hour or hour, depending on the subject or how I feel: As a ground rule, we can't study for more than an hour without break. You can, but you'll be wasting your time. Take five, take 15, whatever floats your boat. Walk around, go to the bathroom, get a new glass of water, do some stretches. I just take breaks whenever I don't feel as alert anymore, even if that's within less than an hour.
Drink plenty of water. As in, never really stop drinking. Yes, you'll need the bathroom, but see above. Most people are dehydrated without even knowing it, and it's not a good thing to be, especially if you have studying to do.
Eat healthy, take supplements to make sure you're getting all the nutrients you need, don't compromise. Do fun stuff when you're done or tired. Know your limits.

That about sums up the various ways I make my study experience more doable. How do you do it? I'd love to find out, so let me know in the comments below.


No comments:

Post a Comment